I am blessed. When I handed my life over to God and told him that I would do his will and serve him–no matter what . . . joyfully . . . I had no idea that I would be given the opportunity to write for kids about God. I really thought it was just changing diapers and breakfast, lunch, dinner . . . but God has so much more for us.
This month I was given the opportunity to write about St. Therese. Her feast day is October 1. If I had it to write over I would have added that God does small things for us each day–I missed that the first time around but I’ll make sure I get the word out to as many kids as I meet on Monday.
Children’s Adoration Meditation
October 12, 2012
Child-like Faith in God
When you were three years old what did you want to be? Well, about 130 years ago there was a three year old girl who dreamed of becoming a nun. Her name was Therese. This little girl lived a very simple life and she devoted it to God. Therese did not give up on her dream to become a nun–at 16 she became a Carmelite nun and she took the name Sister Therese of the Child Jesus. Her very name reflects her faithful child-like devotion.
Sister Therese had a favorite bible verse Matthew 18:3: “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” Her goal in life was to remain as a child in the eyes of God. She wanted to mature, grow in wisdom, and learn new things but she wanted to “keep it simple”. Child-like is NOT childish silliness.
Sister Therese’s realized that God did not have a big huge plan for her life–God wanted her to do each and everything in “the little way”. God wanted her to do her best at every little thing. God wants us to follow “the little way,” too!
Easy? To do everything with love. To do our best each and every day. Let’s try it.
Make a list either on paper or in your mind of all the ways that have done your best today. Just for one-day think about everything you do . . . here are some things for you to think about how you can make some “little changes” . . .
- are we keeping it simple?
- are we trying to do your best on your homework?
- are we feeding the dog, cat, bird, fish in a way that would please God?
- are our words gentle, loving, kind and respectful?
- do we look at someone and think we are better?
- do we laugh at others?
- do we look away rather than being helpful?
- do we pray throughout the day? without someone telling us . . .
- do we have an honest desire to be with Jesus?
- are we simple in our wants/needs–do we really need the latest toy or the fanciest clothes?
- are we respectful to our parents, teachers, friends?
- do we tackle our chores without complaining or arguing?
- do we show gratitude for our blessings?
- do we show God our faithfulness? how do we show Him we really believe in His plan for our life?
God wants each and everyone of us to “be our own best, in our own little way”. God wants us to have our own child-like faith.
If you aren’t sure what your own “little way” is–then ask–God will show you.